On January 1, 2008, the performance-related heavy vehicle charge (LSVA) was raised in Switzerland. Vehicles for the transport of persons and goods over 3.5 tons have been required since 01.01. Pay higher fees for using the Swiss roads in 2008.
The performance-based heavy vehicle charge is a federal charge dependent on the total weight, the emission level and the number of kilometers driven in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein.
It must be paid for all motor vehicles and their trailers that:
- have a gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5 tonnes,
- serve the transport of goods and
- are enrolled at home and abroad and travel the public road network in Switzerland.
The higher tax rates are per kilometre and tonne of decisive weight for
- Vehicles EURO 0, 1, 2: 3.07 centimes (charge category 1)
- Vehicles EURO 3 / after 2009: 2.66 centimes (charge category 2)
- Vehicles EURO 4, 5, 6: 2.26 centimes (charge category 3)
EURO 3-vehicles will be kept in the cheapest category 3 under a transitional arrangement for the year 2008, and only ranked in the middle category 2 as of 1 January 2009 . The emission categories 1 to 3 depend on the emissions of the vehicles.
In the whole Switzerland, a weight limit of 40 tonsis applicable.