The Lagermax Group
Together in motion.
Together in motion.
Lagermax Group is one of the largest companies in Austria in the shipping, car transport and logistics industries. With its 4.000 employees, Lagermax is also one of the largest employers in the regions in which it is present. With over 100 years of experience, the team’s know-how and the assistance of the latest technologies, the transport company develops tailored logistics concepts for customers around the world.
The Lagermax Group stands for stability, flexibility and reliability. As an international logistics group, our mission is to live these values and, in collaboration with our customers and partners around the world, to offer the best possible logistics services.
Total sales in 2022: € 650 million
Employees: around 4.000
Subsidiaries: 60 locations in 15 countries
Lagermax is headquartered in Salzburg, in the heart of Europe. It is integrated into an extensive, Europe-wide transport infrastructure. From the Netherlands to Türkiye – with locations in 15 countries, the Lagermax Group is able to deliver quickly and efficiently to the European markets
In addition to land, sea and air freight, Lagermax is also specialised in express and parcel services like AED and DPD, its own trade fair and textile logistics, and the sale and rental of containers. The disposal and recycling specialists at Frikus Transportlogistik GmbH complete the offering of tailored industry solutions.
We’ve been delivering since 1920.
Out of tradition. Out of passion.
Lagermax was established on 28 April 1920 as Lagerhaus Salzburg-Maxglan Ges.m.b.H.. In the following years, the shortened “Lagermax” established itself as the name of the company. Four years after its founding, a fuel depot with an impressive capacity of 40,000 litres was established. This became a second pillar alongside the storage and shipping business. In 1945, Lagermax assumed the responsibility for storing CARE parcels from the USA and distributing them to the population.
When in 1947 it became possible to import cars and tractors from the USA to Austria for the first time, Lagermax established a new business area – Lagermax Autotransport. Until 1950 the company grew to some 110 employees, with a monthly goods turnover of some 3,000 tonnes. In 1956 the company was restructured into an AG (joint-stock company) that combined the shipping and car transport operations under one roof.
The building of the largest car storage area and the most modern de-preservation facility in Austria in Straßwalchen in the 1970s was another milestone.
In collaboration with two other shipping companies, in 1988 the first private parcel delivery service in Austria was created under the name APS (Austria Paket System). Six years later the name was changed to DPD Austria.
In the 1990s, the international expansion of Lagermaxbegan with the establishment of subsidiaries abroad, such as in Prague (Czech Republic) and Budarös (Hungary). The business areas car transport and shipping were separated.
In 1991, AED(Austria Express Dienst) was established with another shipping company. The service is specialised in automotive spare parts logistics.
At the turn of the millennium, the central shipping terminal opened in Salzburg-Maxglan, with a capacity of 17,000 m² of storage area, and Lagermax AED GmbH & Co KG was established. In 2001, Lagermax joined the break-bulk shipping “24 plus logistics network” and assumed responsibility for Austria. Within this cooperation network, Lagermax continues to be the hub for Eastern Europe.
The largest acquisition occurred in 2012 with the transport companyFRIKUS, whose brand was maintained.
In 2022 Lagermax AED GmbH merged with Lagermax Internationale Spedition GmbH to formLagermax Logistics Austria GmbH. The AED services continued to exist as a separate brand. In the same year, Lagermax Logistics Austria took over the Dutch motorcycle logistics specialist MOL Cargoand thus expanded its two-wheeler logistics area as well as its European network.